Named after John Greenleaf Whittier, an American poet, abolitionist, and founding member of the American Republican political party, Denver’s Whittier neighborhood features beautiful historic homes in Victorian, Queen Anne, and Denver Square styles. The neighborhood is bordered by Martin Luther King Blvd to the north, 23rd Ave to the south, York St to the east and Downing St to the west. The neighborhood’s historic charm and convenient location just northeast of downtown make it a popular choice for families and singles. Whittier is connected to Denver by light rail and City Park is nearby. Most of the homes were built prior to the 1940’s, and the neighborhood’s populace is ethnically diverse and has been since Whittier’s inception. Whittier’s proximity to downtown, parks, and public golf courses, in addition to a housing stock of early 20th century homes at reasonable prices, has helped drive an influx of young professionals and their families to the neighborhood.
Please meet Daphna and Ben Kapnik who recently moved to the area:
1. How did you choose your neighborhood? We moved back from Washington, DC to Denver recently and wanted a neighborhood that resembled our awesome location there. Whittier is very walkable and has a lot of local establishments, amazing architecture, and is a very friendly neighborhood. Plus, we have family who grew up in the neighborhood and loved the idea of coming back!
2. What is your favorite feature of your location? Our neighbors!! We have the most amazing block. When we looked at the listing for our house, the sellers mentioned their “awesome” neighbors as a selling point, and we thought that was a bit arbitrary, but it turned out to be totally true.
3. How long have you lived in the area? We both grew up on the east side of town, but have been in the new house since June!
4. Where is your favorite local spot? We love Fuller Dog Park, which is just a couple blocks away and the other great green spaces around the neighborhood.
5. Use one word to describe your neighborhood. Super friendly!
6. Is there anything else you wish to share about your neighborhood? Most people don’t know about Whittier, but it’s one of the oldest neighborhoods in Denver, and is about two miles northeast of downtown! It’s also one of the most active in terms of community organizing and betterment. And there’s a great Facebook group!
If you desire to know more about the Whittier neighborhood please visit my website and click on the “Communities” tab. If you have any neighborhood or real estate questions, I am always available at firstname.lastname@example.org or #303-324-1703. Stay tuned for next week’s neighborhood feature.